Lake Como Faro Voltiano viewpoint
The lighthouse at Lake Como, commonly known as Faro Voltiano, was erected in 1927 to celebrate the 100th death anniversary of Alessandro Volta the inventor of the electrical battery and discoverer of methane. It is located in Brunate, an historic village on top of the mount that marks the eastern limit of the town of Como.
It is possible to reach Brunate with the antique cable train Funicolare that connects the city of Como with the village since 1894. The line is just 1 km long and, with a 55% inclination, climbs 500 m straight up the mountain in 7 minutes.
The departing place is the historic station on the Como lakeside walkway that goes from Villa Olmo (Como west side) to Villa Geno (Como east side). The station is located just a few hundreds meters from the Como-Milano Railway lake station. The Funicolare arrival station and the engine are located in the main square of Brunate.
To reach the Lighthouse it takes a 30 min walk from the funicular arrival station. The walk is worth the spectacular view that you can enjoy from the Faro Voltiano Terrace! Do not miss to reach the tower top!